How will curbside recycling work for Apartment buildings?
The City of Lethbridge is committed to providing recycling services to both single family homes and apartment complexes.
Each home will be responsible for properly gathering materials accepted in the residential recycling program and getting them to the designated collection area. Each complex will decide how and where to store recyclables and the City of Lethbridge will collect the recyclables and deliver them to the sorting facility.
Due to the complexity and unique circumstances of each complex, the City of Lethbridge will work with managers/owners to determine what works best for their residents, whether that be individual carts or communal collection bins.
If you live in an apartment complex, speak with your building manager on how recyclables will be collected at your site.
Recycling for multifamily dwellings (condos, apartments etc.)
- City Council approved a citywide residential curbside recycling program in 2016.
- The goal was to divert waste away from the landfill by making recycling more convenient.
- To ensure participation, the program was designed as a non-opt out, single stream/comingled recycling program (similar to most other municipalities).
- The program included both single family and multifamily homes with the initial focus on the single family home which began blue cart pick up in May 2019.
Group 1 implementation for multifamily recycling
- The implementation of recycling for condos, apartments and other multifamily buildings began in September of 2019 to be completed in two groups:
- Group one includes Condos and multifamily buildings that contain less than 45 units (approximately 123 properties)
- Group two includes Condos and multifamily buildings with more than 45 units (approximately 46 properties).
- In June 2019, letters were sent to all multifamily properties to notify them of the approach.
- Dedicated staff have been working with each property to assess the best method to deliver, considering their space needs, and the collection method that will work best.
- To date, we have implemented over 95% of group one. The original plan was to have all of group one completed by June 1, 2020, but due to restictions from COVID-19, implementation has been extended until September 1, 2020.
Group 2 implementation for multifamily recycling
- Over the past months we have been approached by 14 condos from group two (33%) to request the implementation of curbside recycling in their properties, as they expressed they were ready and willing to start right away.
- Considering they were eager to start, the City moved forward with the implementation for them.
- Some complexes have been reciving service for over 7 months already and paying the $7/unit for weekly collection of recyclables.
- The remainder of group two is set to begin implementation in January, 2021.
Working with property managers and residents?
- Multifamily recycling is tailored to the needs of each property.
- After meeting with representatives of each property, the Waste and Recycling team will provide:
- advice on the best location for collection,
- collection bin options and set up,
- individual containers to each unit to transfer recyclables from their home to the central location,
- education & outreach materials for residents.
- The multifamily rate for curbside recycling is $7/month/unit.
- An analysis of these fees has been completed and confirms that $7/unit provides cost recovery for this service. The Waste and Recycling Utility is not a profit center but rather operates on a cost recovery basis.
- The $7/month includes:
- The equipment used for collecting the metal bins. These overhead trucks are more expensive to procure, operate and maintain than side load trucks used for single family homes and only 90 bins can be collected per route.
- Weekly collection of recyclable materials.
- The operation of the Material Recovery Facility where the materials are sorted and baled.
- Marketing of the recyclable materials.
- Single family homes pay $9/month for curbside recycling, this includes the recycling program increment of $7/month, plus $2/month, that was moved from the garbage collection when it transitioned to biweekly service for single family homes.
- Multifamily homes do not pay this additional $2/month due to the efficiencies of collecting all the material in a central location.
- For more information on what these fees will cover, visit our Dollars and Cents page.