OPTIONS FOR LARGE CONDOs and APARTMENTs
The City of Lethbridge is committed to ensuring recycling services are provided to both houses and apartment complexes. As approved by City Council in 2016, the Curbside Recycling Program is a mandatory service which all residents of Lethbridge receive. This means that every house, condo and apartment complex will need to have a recycling program in place.
On December 14, 2020, City Council made a decision to give multi-unit dwellings with more than 45 units an option to apply for an exemption to the City recycling program. This means that large condos and apartments can choose to either receive the City of Lethbridge recycling service or arrange a recycling option through a private company.
OPTION A: Receive the City of Lethbridge multi-dwelling recycling program
- This program is delivered by the City of Lethbridge and is the 'default’ option. It will automatically be implemented for all large condos and apartments unless an exemption is applied for and approved by the City.
- This program requires a recycling collection fee of $7 per month (or $0.230 per day) per dwelling unit, which covers the cost of the service. For more information on what the fee covers, visit our
Dollars and Cents page.
- Billing will begin on April 1, 2021 and service will start after that time.
- If you are a property manager/designated representative for your condo or apartment and have not contacted the City to set up this service yet, please contact 311.
Click here for more information on the City's multi-dwelling recycling program.
OPTION B: Request an exemption and arrange a private recycling option
- Large complexes (with more than 45 dwelling units) can choose to receive recycling services from a private company and apply for an exemption to the City of Lethbridge recycling service.
- As per the
Waste Bylaw 6146, all housing units will still be required to pay a Material Recovery Facility (MRF) charge of $0.057 per day, in addition to fees required by private recycling haulers. Billing for the MRF will begin April 1, 2021. For more information on what the fee covers, visit our
Dollars and Cents page.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR AN EXEMPTION?
Waste Bylaw 6146 (Section 36.1 and 36.2), exemptions will only be granted on an annual basis if your apartment complex can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of City staff, that it:
- has an acceptable plan for recycling Recyclable Materials;
- will use a private collections service provider;
- will recycle the same Recyclable Materials that are included in the City’s recycling program;
- will provide Adequate Containers for collection of Recyclable Materials;
- can specify the destination of the Recyclable Materials;
- can specify the tonnage of Recyclable Materials collected; and,
- can provide evidence of training to the residents of the complex.
APPLYING FOR AN EXEMPTION
If you are the property manager/designated representative for a large condo/apartment:
Call 311 to begin the application process.
- If you wish to apply for an exemption, you must communicate a decision to the City by March 31, 2021.
If you live in a large condo/apartment:
- Contact your condo association or designated representative(s) to provide feedback on your preference.
- It will be up to your condo association/representatives to gather responses from all utility account holders in each unit and make a decision.
- Your representatives must communicate a decision to the City by March 31, 2021.